Prior to beginning construction/renovation on a new or existing food service facility, EHS MUST review the facility plans and specifications for the food facility. EHS MUST also review plans and specifications when there is a significant change to the food menu.
As soon as you know space will be designated for a food service facility, contact EHS at (734) 647-1142 or at EHSFoodSafety@umich.edu. This enables EHS to be a part of the plan and design process at the beginning and during the project to ensure the food service facility is in compliance with local, state, and federal rules.
The process for obtaining approval to construct, renovate, or change a menu is as follows:
- Review the Food Establishment Plan Submission Instructions and Plan Review Manual.
- Complete the Fixed Food Establishment Plan Review Application and the Fixed Food Establishment Plan Review Worksheet.
- Send the following documents to EHS by email at EHSFoodSafety@umich.edu or by campus mail, EHS/Food Safety, 1239 Kipke Dr., Campus Zip 1010:
- Plans and specifications for the food service facility
- Menu, if applicable
- Fixed Food Establishment Plan Review Application
- Fixed Food Establishment Plan Review Worksheet to EHS
After the documents are submitted,
- EHS will review the plans, offer suggestions or indicate where changes are required to meet all local, state and federal requirements. Changes need to be resubmitted to EHS for final review and approval.
- After EHS grants approval, construction may begin.
- EHS will inspect the site (at any time) during the construction.
- Contact EHS at (734) 647-1142 or EHSFoodSafety@umich.edu for a pre-opening inspection.
- Approximately 30 days prior to the opening of the establishment, complete the Food Service License Application and submit it to EHS for processing.
- Write standard operating procedures (SOP) for the food service facility using the Food Establishment Standard Operating Procedures
- Submit the SOP to EHS for approval before the opening inspection.
For more information, contact EHS at (734) 647-1142 or EHSFoodSafety@umich.edu.