University of Michigan (U-M) academic or research faculty must obtain approval from the U-M Radiation Policy Committee (RPC) to use radioactive materials or to amend their protocol.  The following U-M faculty positions qualify to apply to use radioactive materials and become Authorized Users:

  • Professor (full, associate, or assistant)
  • Instructor
  • Research Scientist (full, associate, or assistant)
  • Research Investigator

NOTE:  Requests for exceptions to this policy must be fully justified in writing and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Authorized users must notify Radiation Safety Service (RSS) prior to establishing a laboratory that will use radioactive material and when discontinuing the use of radioactive material in their protocol.

All new laboratories must be approved by the RPC and all vacated laboratories must be officially decommissioned by RSS.  NOTE:  The Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) may grant temporary approval of location changes pending final approval by the RPC.

Standard Operating Procedures, Guidelines, and Manuals

Applicants must have, at a minimum, 40 hours of previous training and experience in the safe use and handling of the type and quantity of radioactive material requested in their application.

To begin using or to change the protocol when using radioactive material for non-human use, authorized users must complete the Application for Authorization to Use Radioactive Material  (RSS-101 form) and submit it to Radiation Safety Service (RSS).

If animals are part of the protocol, authorized users must also complete the Supplementary Information – Section 9  (RSS-101 form)

NOTE: The RSO may grant temporary approval to new and amendment applications pending final approval by the RPC.

The human use approval process is different from that for non-human use and is necessarily more complex. Radioactive materials must only be administered to humans by or under the direct supervision of physicians meeting the significant training and experience requirements specified in NRC regulations (10 CFR 35).

Research investigators seeking approval to use radioactive materials in human research subjects must now enter the eResearch system and submit an electronic application.  The eResearch system will route you to the RDRC/SHUR “Ancillary Committee” for review.  Contact RSS at (734) 647-1143 for assistance in completing Section 21 (‘Ionizing Radiation’) of the eResearch application .

Authorized users must:

  • Ensure the safe performance of authorized activities, security and control of radioactive materials, and compliance with regulations
  • Maintain complete, accurate, and current radiation safety records as required by the NRC, RPC and RSS
  • Comply with current NRC regulations and U-M radiological safety and emergency protocols
  • Instruct staff and students under their supervision in the proper handling, monitoring, storage, and disposal of radioactive materials
  • Ensure supervised individuals using radioactive materials have received radiological safety training from RSS

Lab personnel intending to work with radioactive material must:

  • Enroll in and complete EHS_RSS103w: Radiation Safety Orientation and Radionuclide Users Annual Refresher Course within 60 days of starting work. This course can be accessed from the EHS Safety Training Course List.
  • Be informed (by your supervisor or Authorized User) of potential radiation hazards, radiological safety protocols, and applicable regulatory compliance issues in your work area.
  • Complete retraining annually (EHS_RSS103w or equivalent).

NOTE: Special training sessions conducted by RSS staff may satisfy the above training requirement and can be arranged by contacting RSS at

Skip to content