Temporary Event Planning

The University of Michigan (U-M) hosts and sponsors many events for its faculty, students, and members in the surrounding communities.  Although the events are temporary, it does not change U-M’s goal of safety first on our campus.  In order to help ensure safety of all participants Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) will evaluate and assist with both Fire Safety and Food Safety matters at these events.

Fire Safety at Temporary Events

EHS, Fire Safety Services (FSS) shall ensure that the following fire prevention, evacuation, and extinguishing system protocols are in place prior to approving a temporary event.

  • Fire Prevention
  • Electrical Safety
  • Food Service Areas
  • Membrane Structures
  • Portable Generators
  • Flammable and combustible liquids properly stored
  • Fire Evacuation
  • Means of Egress
  • Fire Alarm System
  • Fire Extinguishing Systems
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Fire Department Access

The Special Events and Temporary Structures Fire Inspection Checklist explains briefly what is needed for the event to pass inspection.  For more information, contact FSS at (734) 647-1143 or at EHSFireSafety@umich.edu.

Food Safety at Temporary Events

Temporary events often include catered staff luncheons, student fundraisers, and outdoor special events held on the U-M campus.  Temporary events that involve preparation, cooking, or handling food by a caterer, student organization, or other U-M affiliated groups may require a temporary food service license.  When planning events that will need a temporary food service license, the hosting organization shall obtain permission or schedule the event with the appropriate representative before contacting EHS to obtain the temporary food service license.  For more information, contact EHS at (734) 647-1142 or EHSFoodSafety@umich.edu.

Standard Operating Procedures, Guidelines, and Manuals

Supplemental Information

Required Permissions for Events Held Outdoors

Required Permissions for Events Held Indoors

Obtaining a Temporary Food Service License

U-M EHS Food Truck/Cart/Trailer Approval Procedures


Skip to content