Animal safety begins with lab directors (faculty/lab managers/supervisors) providing lab specific training related to working with animals used in research operations. As a lab director, you are required to adopt and implement safety program manuals, and where necessary, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) pertaining to handling the animals and methods used in your lab. You are also responsible for the welfare of the animals under your care.
Standard Operating Procedures, Guideline, and Manuals
The following documents and manuals may be required for your research operation, depending on what type of research you are performing, types of hazards, and engineering controls. These documents are in a “pdf” format you can download or in a “Word” format so that you can print them for your operation as is, or modify them to meet your unique needs.
- Animal Anesthetics
- Biosafety Manual
- Exposure Control Plan
- Chemical Hygiene Plan (PDF)
- Chemical Standard Operating Procedures
- Animal Handler Occupational Health & Safety Program
- Cryogenic Liquids Use
- Proper Segregation and Disposal of Low-Level Radioactive Wastes (LLRW)
- Reproductive Health Awareness Guideline
- Chemicals and Drugs Administered to Animals in Standard Housing
- Chemicals and Drugs Administered to Animals in Containment Housing