Transfers & Shipments

Authorized Users and their staff are not authorized to transfer, transport, or ship radioactive materials to any location or person except through the U-M Department of Environment, Health & Safety–Radiation Safety Service (RSS).  This includes transport on local roads and public walkways.  RSS must authorize transfers and shipments and will transport or ship the material to the intended recipient at no additional charge beyond the shipping costs.


Please be aware that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulate the transportation of radioactive materials and of hazardous materials in general and enforce the regulations strictly.

  • Any individual who transports radioactive materials or offers them for transport must be specifically and comprehensively trained in all the applicable DOT rules [49 CFR 172.702(a)] and must be certified by his/her employer as adequately trained to ship hazardous materials.
  • The DOT can and will cite untrained and uncertified individuals along with the individual’s employer if they engage in regulated transportation activities.  The DOT has levied steep fines against individuals, as well as their employers, for failing to comply with its regulations.

Do not attempt to ship any hazardous material without consulting with RSS in advance for guidance.  If you are unsure if material is hazardous for purposes of transportation, you can consult the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that material.  The SDS should include a section listing transportation restrictions or you can contact Hazardous Materials Management (HMM) at (734) 763-4568.  HMM will be glad to advise you.

Intra-Campus Transfers of Radioactive Material

Off-Campus Transfers and Domestic Shipments

International Shipments of Radioactive Material

Skip to content