Food Safety

Food safety begins with food service managers and food service personnel complying with the appropriate food regulations and following the current food safety and sanitation procedures. Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) is responsible for regulating food service operations at the University of Michigan (U-M) Ann Arbor campus and the U-M Health System through agreements with Washtenaw County and the State of Michigan.  EHS is responsible for:

  • Reviewing plans to:
    • Open a fixed food service establishment
    • Remodel an existing establishment
    • Change equipment or menus
  • Licensing and Inspecting:
    • Fixed food establishments
    • Special transitory food units
    • Mobile and temporary food service operations on U-M property
    • Small group housing kitchens associated with the Office of Greek Life and the Inter-Cooperative Council
  • Inspecting and Licensing temporary food service events such as:
    • Food vendors at home football games
    • The Ann Arbor Art Fairs
    • Student organization events

For more information, contact EHS at (734) 647-1142 or

Policies, Procedures , and Guidelines

Supplemental Information

Skip to content