The Chemical, Equipment, and Materials (ChEM) Reuse program, a University of Michigan (U-M) sustainability initiative, is a repository of unexpired and unused chemicals, equipment, and materials that are available to you for use in U-M research and teaching laboratories located on the Ann Arbor campus. The ChEM Reuse Program cannot guarantee if or when items will be available to research or teaching laboratories. The ChEM program:
- Protects the environment by reducing the overall volume of hazardous waste sent for disposal
- Reduces the cost of purchasing new materials if those in the repository are acceptable for your research or teaching needs
The program enables U-M research and teaching laboratories to:
- Obtain available chemicals, equipment, and materials free of charge
- Donate surplus chemicals, equipment, and materials into this program for redistribution to others who may find a need
Requesting Chemicals, Equipment, and Materials
Click the appropriate link below and you will see a list of the available chemicals, equipment, or materials. The available items are distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
- Chemical (MISP Chemical Inventory, look at “ChEM Reuse Program’s Chemical Inventory” under “Reports” for a list of chemicals we have available, then email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Equipment & Material (Mark your selections & submit form. Hint: if you press Ctrl + F a search box will display to assist you in looking for a specific item.)
You may also email requests and questions to email@example.com. We are happy to put requests on a “wishlist” if not currently in our inventory and contact you if it comes in.
Donating to the ChEM Reuse Program
The ChEM Reuse Program enables researchers and teaching labs to:
- Donate chemicals, equipment, or materials that are no longer needed. All items must be in good condition and functioning. Chemicals must be in properly labeled containers, unexpired, and be able to be stored at room temperature.
- If you have large quantities of excess materials (such as during a lab closure or move) request an Office of Campus Sustainability representative to visit your lab to assess excess materials for possible donation.
Email the Office of Campus Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org describing your donation. Please include your location, description of items, and preferred pick-up time and day. We will do our best to accommodate requests.
For More Information
Contact Nicole Berg (734) 763-4615 or Ken Keeler (734) 936-6663 or email: email@example.com if you have questions about this program.