The Chemical, Equipment, and Materials (ChEM) Reuse Program is operated by the Office of Campus Sustainability in partnership with Environment, Health & Safety. The ChEM Reuse Program supports U-M’s waste reduction goal by enabling surplus chemicals, lab equipment, and materials to be used in other campus labs rather than being sent out for disposal. Any U-M Ann Arbor lab can donate usable items or request items free of charge.
- Protects the environment by reducing the overall volume of hazardous waste sent for disposal
- Reduces the cost of purchasing new materials if what we have meets your research or teaching needs
Requesting Chemicals, Equipment, and Materials
Click the appropriate link below and you will see a list of the available chemicals, equipment, or materials. The available items are distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
- Chemical (MISP Chemical Inventory, look at “ChEM Reuse Program’s Chemical Inventory” under “Reports” for a list of chemicals we have available, then email requests to email@example.com)
- Equipment & Material (Mark your selections & submit form. Hint: if you press Ctrl + F a search box will display to assist you in looking for a specific item.)
You may also email requests and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to put requests on a “wishlist” if not currently in our inventory and contact you if it comes in.
Donating to the ChEM Reuse Program
The ChEM Reuse Program enables researchers and teaching labs to:
- Donate chemicals, equipment, or materials that are no longer needed. All items must be in good condition and functioning. Chemicals must be in properly labeled containers, unexpired, and be able to be stored at room temperature.
- If you have large quantities of excess materials (such as during a lab closure or move) request an Office of Campus Sustainability representative to visit your lab to assess excess materials for possible donation.
Email the Office of Campus Sustainability at email@example.com describing your donation. Please include your location, description of items, and preferred pick-up time and day. We will do our best to accommodate requests.
For More Information
Contact Nicole Berg (734) 763-4615 or Ken Keeler (734) 936-6663 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this program.