The University of Michigan (U-M) places the highest priority on safety, and is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all that attend, visit, and work at U-M. This includes construction contractors and their respective work forces.
Safety is an essential component of construction work, and it is a key contractual responsibility for those managing and performing such work. The U-M’s goal is zero injuries on construction projects. Effective contractor safety programs align with this goal by assisting contractors to systematically identify and evaluate anticipated hazards in order to establish controls in advance and prevent accidents. Interactions developed through these programs also bring collateral benefits in the form of increased safety awareness, improved communication, documentation, and cost savings.
Contractor Safety Program
- The University Of Michigan Construction Safety Guidelines
- Previous Versions that may still be valid on long running construction projects
- Safety Plan Certification
- Project Safety Scope Checklist
- Contractor Incident Report Form
- Monthly Safety Report
- Construction Safety Links
- Job Hazard Analysis
The Contractor Safety Recognition Program rewards employees, identified by U-M contractor partners, who exhibit safe work practices while performing work on the U-M capital projects.
- Michigan Voluntary Protection Program for Construction (MVPPC) Star Award – Couzens Hall – August 25, 2010
- Michigan Voluntary Protection Program for Construction (MVPPC) Continued Star Award – Alice Lloyd Hall – September 16, 2011
Additional Projects for Walbridge MVPPC
- East Quad Renovation – May 2012
- Lawyers Club Renovation – May 2012
- Wall Street Parking Structure – June 2013
- Munger Graduate Residence Hall – September 2013
- West Quad Renovation – May 2014
- Ross School of Business – July 2014
- MIOSHA Partnership – Granger Construction Company – University of Michigan Stephen M Ross Athletics South Competition and Performance Project – June 7, 2016
- MIOSHA Partnership – Barton Malow Company, Building Trades, Contractors and MIOSHA – C. S. Mott Children’s Hospital and Von Voiglander Women’s Project – December 3, 2010
- MIOSHA Partnership – Granger Construction Company – University of Michigan G.G. Brown College of Engineering Renovation – July 14, 2014