The U-M Environment, Health & Safety Department is working in partnership with the U-M Emergency Management, University Health Services and Washtenaw County Health Department among others to help keep our community healthy and safe. If you have questions or concerns, please contact EHS at 734-647-1143 or at firstname.lastname@example.org so we may get a message to the appropriate EHS staff member to address your needs. Questions in regard to COVID-19 specifically can be sent to EHS-Covid-19-Reporting@umich.edu
Report Outside Positive COVID-19 Test Results
Students, faculty and staff on the Ann Arbor campus, including Michigan Medicine, who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days outside of U-M – that is, outside University Health Service (UHS), Occupational Health Services (OHS), or the Community Sampling and Tracking Program (CSTP) – are asked to report their positive test result here.
The information collected will be directed to appropriate units for follow up including: University Health Service; Environment, Health & Safety; Occupational Health Services; and/or Infection Prevention & Epidemiology. University or county health officials may reach out for case investigation and contact tracing, and the information gathered will help target resources for testing, support and mitigation.
Current Status of EHS
EHS will continue to provide our critical services as needed for the university community. This includes 24/7 emergency response services and other services as needed to serve our research, student life and others in the community. Our building is currently locked down so we ask individuals to contact us prior to coming to our office.
University of Michigan Face Covering
- University of Michigan Face Covering Policy for COVID-19 – 7/12/2021
- Face Covering FAQs – 7/12/2021
Preparedness and Response Plans
- University of Michigan COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan: U-M COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan – 7/16/2021
This plan details how the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus is complying with MIOSHA Emergency COVID-19 rules to protect and mitigate risk of COVID-19 for University of Michigan workers.
- COVID-19 Guidelines for Campus Facilities – 7/16/2021
- Covid-19 Training
All healthcare employees determined to be covered by OSHA ETC are are required to take SARS-Cov2 and COVID-19 Training. All other Departments are recommended to have their employees take this training that at a minimum covers the following:
- Workplace infection-control practices
- The proper use of personal protective equipment
- Steps the employee must take to notify the university of any symptoms of COVID-19 or a suspected or confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19
- How to report unsafe working conditions
Student Community Health Policy
Members of the U-M Ann Arbor student community are expected to comply with health and safety laws, orders, ordinances, regulations or health and safety guidance adopted by the University as it relates to public health crises, including COVID-19. To support the health and safety of the U-M community, a number of protocols related to COVID testing, symptom checking, and quarantine/isolation practices are required for U-M Ann Arbor campus students.
Questions regarding this policy should be referred to the COVID hotline at 734-936-7000 or to email@example.com.
- HVAC: Guidelines for University of Michigan Facilities – 4/27/2021
- Placement of hand sanitizer: Placement of Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizers in Non-Health Care Facilities – 7/13/2020
- One-way stairways: Designation of Stairways for One-Way Directional Travel in Non-Health Care Facilities – 6/18/2020
- Partitions: Partitions and Shield Available for Ordering – 6/17/2020
- Water management: Building Water Management During Periods of Low Occupancy – 6/11/2020
- Thermometers: COVID-19 and Mercury Thermometers – 5/4/2020
Exposure and testing:
- COVID-19 Exposure, Testing, and Mandatory Contact Tracing Guidance for Employees and Supervisors – 6/7/2021
- FDA issues final rule on safety and effectiveness of consumer hand sanitizers
- FDA Updates on Hand Sanitizers with Methanol
- How to Properly Wear and Care for Your Mask
- How to Properly Wear and Care for Your Cloth Face Covering
- COVID-19 Exposure, Testing, and Mandatory Contact Tracing Guidance for Employees and Supervisors – 10/6/2020
- Handling Human Materials during COVID-19 Pandemic FAQs – 6/19/2020
- Checklist for restarting research: EHS Checklist for Restarting Research Activities – 5/5/2020
- Non-research buildings: EHS General Cleaning Guidance – 5/14/2020
- Research buildings: Cleaning and Disinfection Protocol for the Prevention of COVID-19 in U-M Laboratory Facilities – 5/4/2020
- COVID-19 Equipment Cleaning Log for Shift Work (docx) – 6/15/2020
- 70% Ethanol / 70% Ispropyl Alcohol FAQ – 5/27/2020
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Lab Equipment – 5/19/2020
- COVID-19 Equipment Cleaning Log (pdf) – 5/18/2020
- COVID-19 Equipment Cleaning Log (docx) – 5/18/2020