During concept planning, design, and construction EH&S ensures the following actions are taken in support of the construction effort:
- Sampling and analysis of building materials, destined for demolition, for proper waste characterization purposes in advance (if possible) of the demolition process to comply with State and Federal Hazardous Waste Regulations.
- Proper identification and management of regulated construction-demolition materials.
- Container management including proper labeling and staging of containers.
- Collection and disposal of regulated materials including materials discovered during the demolition process. Contact EH&S at (734)-763-4568 for more information.
- Universal Waste management – including light bulbs, lighting ballasts and other electronics requiring disposal as part of the demolition and renovation process.
- Response to spills and leaks that occur on the construction site.
EH&S reviews project plans to determine pre-construction, demolition, and renovation survey needs to protect workers and building occupants from hazardous building materials. Typical survey and analysis for the following hazardous building materials are to be completed and included in the scope of work for the bid packages:
|BUILDING MATERIAL||LOOKING FOR…||THE PROJECT PLAN HELPS|
||Identify suspect materials and develop survey and abatement strategies|
||Determine building age and painted surface impact so that we can survey accordingly|
||Determine where suspect PCB containing materials may be and how the project might impact them.|
|Regulated Building Materials (RBMs)||Regulated construction waste such as:
||Project drawings help to identify areas where these wastes are present.|